Galaxy of Magic server now open! | Everything you need to know

I'm not an attorney by any means, but am I not wrong when saying you could have kept everything pretty much 95% the same and only done slight changes to make it "Harry Potter- but not quite"?

Examples:
Hufflepuff = Hufflepug
Slytherin = Slitheredin
Gryffindor = Griffindoor
Ravenclaw = Ravenlore
Hogwarts = Hogward's 

And all of the player-models and the map would already be fair-use as they were custom made, so they wouldn't need to be changed at all (other than the names).  

It wouldn't be copyright infringement if you slightly changed everything, and it'd still essentially be a Harry Potter RP server. 

I just got on Gmod hoping to jump on some SBS, I spent 1000s of hours on the server and was an Admin at one point, so you can imagine my sadness and disappointment when I saw no HogwartsRP section, and 0/50 players on the new 'Galaxy of Magic' server.

I think it is a huge loss of potential entirely rebranding the server when you could have gotten away with a 'malicious-compliance' type of thing and only slightly changed everything, so it didn't infringe on any copyrights. 

This server was the only reason I hopped on Gmod every once and a whole, and now it's completely dead. 

What a waste.

Edit:
I just got on the server and checked out the map. No wonder nobody is playing on here anymore. The map is terrible, but considering you made it in such a short amount of time I can see why.
You could have kept the old map and slightly changed everything, and honestly you probably didn't even need to do that, you custom-made the map yourselves so it was already fair-use.
I understand that even if you 110% knew everything on the server was fair use, you still wouldn't want to get in a legal battle with Warner Bros because they would bleed you dry with legal fees even though they would 100% lose the case, but god damn is this depressing.

Rest easy, king. You gave me 1000s of hours of entertainment and now you're gone because of some big Corporations' greed. I guess a server with 200 players was a threat to their multi-billion dollar company. Pathetic.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Galaxy of Magic server now open! | Everything you need to know - by baked - 12-03-2022, 02:42 PM