Alistair Whyte's Gamemaker Application

[Image: 5apd4aJ.png]

(1.) What is your SteamID?

STEAM_0:0:47832040

(1a) What is your most recent ingame name?

Alistair Whyte

(1b) What is your current year level in-game? (MUST be 7th to apply.)

Prestige 5 - Year 5

(2.) What Timezone do you live in? 

GMT + 1

(2a) Please put what times you are most active in CST (Chicago US), so the managers know when they can expect to see you. 

Between 10am and 4pm CST during weekdays. On weekdays or national holidays it varies a lot, but will usually fall within that general timeframe (or a little earlier/later).

(3.) How old are you? 

(4.) When did you first join our server and how did you discover it? 

I first joined the server in August 2017 under the name Jon Fire. I quickly changed that name to Alistair Blackwood after about a week. The only reason I discovered HogwartsRP was due to a Youtuber called CallMeKevin. I watched some of his videos and a few were of HogwartsRP in Gmod. SBS seemed like the most popular Hogwarts Server at the time so I joined it and have stayed with it ever since.

(4a) How can we be sure you will stay active and loyal (with your time) to Star by Star? 

I have been a member of this community for almost 1 and a half years and, although I have taken some breaks, have never completely left it. I am heavily invested in this community and I am not planning to go anywhere anytime soon.

(4b) Do you understand you can be let go at ANY time for inactivity? 

Absolutely.

(5.) Do you understand and agree to not only comply with, but also enforce the rules of the Server when necessary? 

Understand and agree.

(5a) When listing the rules please explain what they mean to show that you understand them.

List Rules below:

1: No Fail RP:
Act as you character would. Do not break character. Examples of this would be Dumbledore attacking/freespellling a student, Teachers not teaching their subject, Lucius telling someone he is a death eater, Dumbledore and Voldemort chilling with each other, etc.

2: Disrespectful, hateful and offensive behaviour/speech towards others is not allowed:
Treat others like you would like to be treated yourself. Do not call people any out of RP slurs, do not disrespect them out of character, do not be racist or homophobic, do not try to legitimately hurt the player behind the character with your choice of words.

3: No RDMing:
Do not randomly (attempt to) kill another player. You always need to have a legitimate roleplay reason to try and kill another player (ex. Killing the opposing faction on neutral ground, killing a revealed snatcher, etc.)

4: Obey Staff and RP leaders:
Pretty self explanatory. If Staff tell you to cease an action, follow their order. If your roleplay-leader (ex. Voldemort for DF) tells you to do something, do it, do not attempt to question their authority. 

5: No free-spelling:
Do not cast any spells for any reasons. This goes especially for non-student roles as they cannot be arrested for it. Students that are freespelling non-harmful spells can and should be dealt with in RP through prefecting. Freespelling harmful spells is considered attempted RDM, refer to rule 3.

6: No Meta-Gaming:
Do not use any information that could not be known to your character to act or give yourself an advantage. (ex. Exposing a Snatcher through reading their job name, Attacking a Snatcher that attempted to snatch within Fumos, using any information obtained from OOC chat)

7: Do not mic/chat spam:
Self-explanatory, do not scream into your mic or play music and do not spam any form of chat, be it local or global.

8: Advert is for RP purposes/leaders only:
Only advert legitimate In-RP statements. Examples of this would be Voldemort calling for a meeting. Dumbledore calling students to his office. Kingsley summoning his Aurors to the RS. Examples of how not to use it would be: Calling RDA on a person. Posting links/advertising something. Anything that is OOC.

9: No ERP:
No sexual/suggestive chat, neither through mic nor through typing. If you absolutely need to get raunchy do it through private Steam messages or something, where no one can see you doing it.

10: Do not avoid the AFK system/Map Exploit:
Do not use any console commands/Scripts/Bots or whatever to avoid being kicked after 20 minutes. Also do not abuse any glitches of the maps you have found to your advantage or use jobs to get to places you are not supposed to be (ex. Ghosts flying into Staff rooms).

(5b) Expain what the term "minge" means, when referring to a player on the server 

A minge is a player that only comes to a server to enjoy themselves by disrupting the experience of others. They have no regard for others and will do whatever they find fun, break rules however they like and disrupt roleplay. A minge is what none of us should aspire to be.

(6.) Tell us about yourself and why you want to be staff on SBS? (100 words or less) 

Well hello there, I am Alistair and a lot of you will probably already know me. I have recently noticed a lack of Staff and events in the timezone I play in. I have also been approached by a certain member of this community, asking me to reapply a while ago. After thinking thoroughly about this I have decided to put an application in. I believe I am ready to return and will hopefully make the EU timezone a little bit more exciting again. And I truly do miss being a GM.

(7.) What do you feel you need to improve on the most? 

My self-confidence. I have always criticized myself a lot, feeling I was not up to the part the last time was one of the main reasons for my resignation.

(8.) How would having you on staff benefit our server and what sets you apart from the rest of the applicants? 

I like to believe I am very creative. I have experience in carrying out events and have a general grasp of what players usually like/dislike. Of course you can't please everyone but I believe I have all the necessary skills that are required to host good events.

(9.) Have you been staff/are currently on any other servers? If so, which ones? (List them if possible) 

I have been a GM on SBS twice. Not been Staff anywhere else, nor am I currently.

(10.) Have you ever been banned on any Garrys Mod/SBS servers? If yes, then please list when, how long, and the reason. 

Nope

(11.) Are the Server staff or the players more important? Why? 

Both go hand in hand. The server needs players to keep on going. It is for the players that Staff dedicate their time to, to enable everyone to have the best time on the server as is possible. Staff are merely players themselves, but they decide to help out and gladly sacrifice a portion of their free time, and limit their ability to RP freely to serve the regular players, so that they may enjoy themselves to their fullest. Without Staff there would be (and sometimes is, during prefect law) chaos on the server. Without the regular players there would be no one to Staff for. It would be an empty server. The players need to trust their Staff or it can lead to some very inconvenient circumstances, players leaving or revolting. This is why Staff should always try to remain as unbiased in their judgement as possible and always act as a role-model and act at least semi-professionally. Staff and players need to work hand in hand to achieve the most desirable outcome.

(12.) How would you rate your skills overall out of 10 (EX: Patience, Communication, etc) 

Patience - 9

Communication - 7.5

Fairness - 9

Leadership - 8

Honesty - 9

Overall ability as a GM - 8

Schwiftiness - 66.6

(13.) How familiar on a scale of 1 to 10 are you with Garrys Mod Sandbox tools? 

7-8, I am by no means a master builder and I can always improve my skills, however I have quite a decent grasp and have built many things before.

(14.) Give us a couple of detailed examples of an event you would use and how you would proceed with them 

[Image: XWCkOrJ.png]
[Image: the_last_unicorn_wallpaper_2_by_yellochevy02.jpg]

Note: This event idea is very loosely based on the novel "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle and I will not give all the details to this event, although the way it plays out will have similarities to the original story.

Unicorns, magical creatures through and through. Never will you encounter a beast more majestic. Sadly, their rareness and extremely magical properties make them a desirable target for those with malintent. Fewer and fewer unicorns are seen every day. Disappearing rapidly and with the last sighting of a real unicorn being now almost 5 years ago, they are believed to be extinct, well, almost. Mere days ago, reports of a unicorn being sighted in the dark forest of Hogwarts have spread around the wizarding world. A special investigator of the ministry has been sent out on a mission to investigate the rumors. However what he finds, is very concerning.

Upon arrival, a few individuals have actually caught sight of the elusive being. The clues direct at a mysterious castle, having appeared not too long ago, the edge of the Black Lake.

Investigating the castle, a strange warlock is found inside of it. Questioning the individual proves to be rather problematic and the investigator is swiftly kicked out. It is at this time a mysterious woman, seeming to suffer from a serious case of amnesia arrives at Hogwarts, seeking for help to remember her past.

Where is the last unicorn? What is the suspicious warlock up to? Who is the mysterious lady?

It shall remain a mystery...for now.

[Image: wyLidUc.png]
[Image: uzQPvfA.jpg]

Some things are better left untouched. Some beings better left to their slumber. However, there will always be those of curious minds, venturing beyond the boundaries of sanity.
Discovering an ancient book in the archives of Merlin the Dark Lord finds himself promises of power, unbeknownst to the eyes of men. Enthralled he goes on to perform the dark ritual necessary, summoning an ancient portal and opening a gate that should have stayed closed until the end of times.
As the portal activates, madness befalls the Dark Lord and his followers as the prince of darkness ventures out of his prison. Enslaving the minds of those unworthy he sits upon his throne, having them made his mad servants. Although the Prince of madness grows tired of boredom rather easily…
A scout of the Auror Corps reports what he has seen to Kingsley, who in turn devises a plan to banish the prince to where he belongs. Although he must do this in a short amount of time, as the Prince of madness sets his eyes upon the castle. Discovering an old book in the restricted section of the library, the spell to seal the gate is found once more. Only with the gate, and his power sealed, the Prince of Madness can be defeated.

To seal the gate, the prince must be lured away from the portal, so it may be closed. However, until it is sealed, him and his Forces will be completely immortal. The squad distracting the prince can only hope to stay alive long enough, drawing the attention of the prince until the portal is shut and he can be defeated.

So, they put their plan into motion, a group of volunteers drawing the prince into the forest as the most powerful living wizard known to mankind, Albus Dumbledore, starts the ritual to close the gate. Once successfully shut, Light Forces will be able to damage the prince and all DF (Prince’s Forces) will be under NLR. All the fighting will take place in the Dark Forest. LF will not be under NLR, however Prince Forces will be godded until the portal is down and probably have a bit increased health. Once all his forces and the Prince himself have been defeated the portal will disappear to whence it came.

[Image: UGYirX8.png]
[Image: 7T8Xgjy.jpg]

The Knights of Cydonia. Loyal throughout life. Loyal beyond death.

Mysterious knights have set up camp outside the walls of Hogwarts. Neutral towards both Hogwarts and the Dark Forces they are led by their king, Cydon.

This will be more of a diplomatic passive event, with knights likely having to apply before they get the role as it will be very roleplay heavy. The knights of Cydonia will have a vast backstory that is to discover by talking to them. Where they come from, what they are, what they want etc. Their camp will be a neutral ground, meaning both Light and Dark Forces will be able to enter safely. Should anyone cast any spell inside the camp they will be swiftly executed by the knights. LF and DF both will be able to attempt to sway kind Cydon onto their side and if done so they will either defend Hogwarts or attack with the Dark Forces. This may be a recurring event, with a progressive storyline, depending on the choices made and the actions taken in the past event, appearing and disappearing inexplicably every time. (Unless of course you are able to discover their secret)

[Image: 3DU1UqD.png]
[Image: monster-dark-forest-knight-sword-fantasy-1241.jpg]

Dwellers of the forest have left their home, swarming into Hogwarts to seek shelter. What could have unsettled them to cause them to leave their very home? As Dumbledore welcomes the animals into Hogwarts momentarily, a scout is sent out to investigate the forest. Never does he return. It appears deadly fumes linger in the forest, killing anything that dares to enter. A protective charm, clearing the air around an individual is developed by Hogwarts’ White Mage. Any who attempt to enter the forest without having this protective Charm will immediately perish, upon breathing in the fumes. A team of volunteers, composed of Aurors, students and Hogwarts Staff alike is assembled to investigate the cause of this disaster. They find several corrupted tears in the fabric of the aether. Someone has obviously tampered with the feeble balance of magic. Or something. As they successfully attempt to heal the tears, causing the corruption, a roar is heard throughout the forest. Taking out their wands, the volunteer squad prepare to defend themselves against whatever threat lurks in the forest, only to discover they cannot. No spell will work. Their wands are nothing more but sticks. For some reason it seems to be impossible to cast any form of magic in the Forest. (All players in the forest will be stripped). It is then when something, possessing inhumane speed charges by them, snatching a student, as his screams can be heard in the distance. Panicking, the volunteers attempt to flee, but only few make it out, escaping the grasp of the unknown beasts. An extremely powerful magic-nullifying field seems to have been erected, spanning the entirety of the forest. And the beasts, seen at the edge of the forest seem to not want to stay where they are. It is at this point the School decides to animate its statues, sworn to protect the school, sending them out into the forest to clear it out and eliminate the threat.

Beasts and Statues will only have one life, if they die, they are dead for good. Beasts will be remodeled DF with claws.

2 outcomes:

#1: The statues successfully eliminate the threat. The animals of the forest return and live in peace once more.

#2 The statues are decimated, and a lockdown will start with the beasts attacking Hogwarts. Beasts who die in this process will return to fight as normal DF.

[Image: 8yYHiAp.png]
[Image: sad_troll_by_alexichabane-d6a7e5o.jpg]

Prelude: What makes a monster? A scary appearance? An intimidating aura? A lust for blood? Oftentimes we end up calling humans monsters for the atrocities they committed. No one ever desires to be a monster. But what if you are perceived as one by everyone you encounter? This, sadly, is the fate of Kryshnogg the Wise. Being born a troll with tremendous intelligence he never quite fit in with his troll comrades. Too stupendous they seemed to him. Their lust for blood and human flesh, he never shared. Exiled by trolls he attempted to make friends with humans, which seemed to be more on his intellectual level.

Several people venturing beyond the castle walls have gone missing lately. It is at this time of high alert a troll approaches Hogwarts. Connecting the dots they quickly conclude that this beast must be responsible for the disappearance of said individuals, it must have simply devoured them. Quickly incapacitiating the troll they take him into the school, in chains, planning to make an example out of him, executing him in front of the student body to demonstrate the effectivenes of the ministry and to give them a feeling of safety as long as they are around. However, much to their surprise, this disgusting creature actually begins uttering human words. It talks in the tongue of men. Perplexed the High Executioner of the Ministry urges to slay the beast, as to not allow it to corrupt the minds of those present. However he is swiftly stopped by Albus Dumbledore, pleading that there is more to the story than appears at first. A debate ensues, the life of the troll at stake. After their viewpoints have been presented a vote will be held.

2 outcomes:

#1: The troll is voted to be slain. A truly sad day for Hogwarts. The threat outside the school walls still lingers and eventually attacks Hogwarts, resulting in a lockdown. After having successfully defended Hogwarts a memorial for the gentle troll is held, reminding people, not to quickly judge a being by it's appearance.

#2: The troll is voted to be kept alive until proven guilty. After some questioning by Dumbledore the troll reveals the real reason of the students disappearance. Outside the castle walls a resurrected Voldemort is growing stronger by the day. The captured students have all been taken to  the Dark Lord, sacrificed and reawoken as Inferi. The Ministry decides to launch a pre-emptive strike on the Dark Lord, as he gathers his army at the peer of the Black Lake. Should they successfully defeat them at the Lake the threat will be over. Should they fail it will go into Lockdown and Voldemort and his Inferi army will attack, Kryshnogg the Wise aiding in the defense of the school. Should he not die during this event he will stay at the school for a while, attending classes and possibly teaching some as he enjoys his time with his new human friends.

[Image: Lw5r84x.png]
[Image: ceefbb40efdab7733a866c5805983dc3.jpg]

A tower, appearing once every 5000 years is rumored to be close to manifestation once again. Many challenges it is said to hold. Deadly and tricky in nature. However, should one individual manage to climb the very top, unlimited power, shall be his reward.

Basically, I will build a massive tower, comprising of several floors with challenges (jump puzzle, labyrinth, survival, a duel, etc.). It will be extremely hard to get to the top floor and should someone manage to a grand reward and title will be given unto him. If I can get a supers approval, possibly a superadmin spell (for example Periculum) could be handed out to whoever manages to reach the top. Otherwise other cool stuff, such as certain SWEPs may be rewarded to the winner. I intend to make it extremely hard to get to the top, so I might have a few iterations of this event until someone finally manages to get to the top.

[Image: MC3tJHA.png]
[Image: hermit_by_zazza83-d8norzj.jpg]

Finding peace really isn’t all that easy. Especially if you live right outside a school filled with curious, annoying little brats. Greg P. Frye has been living all by himself in his hut for many years now. Sadly, his old hut in the Forest, which remained undetected, has recently been infested with giant spiders, forcing him to erect another one outside of the forest. However, he may have underestimated the curiosity of his neighbors.
Being a master of potions, he has brewed a great many of them, with all kinds of effects. Maddened he is as he returns to his hut to find it raided by kids, drinking his potions, transforming into all sorts of things and gaining all kinds of abilities.

He drives them out of his home, leaving them to their ill fates, it being their own fault for stealing his potions.

As the Headmaster catches wind of the situation and the cursed (or blessed, potions will give random effects) students, he attempts to make contact with the Hermit, who is having none of it. All he wants is to be left alone. Will Dumbledore be able to sway the Hermit to brew him a nice stack of potions, reversing the effects of the ones the students drank? Or Will those students forever be cursed to live as ponies, rats, cats, run inhumanely fast, etc.? There is only one who could save them.

More of a passive event and will be pretty roleplay heavy and students will receive a random perk upon drinking a potion. Examples being turned into an animal, having their walkspeed altered, being materialized, etc.

(15.) Do you have any experience using ULX or building on Garry's Mod? 

Yes, I believe I have a thorough understanding of both.

(16.) You understand and realize, that by applying for staff on the server also means, that you are sacrificing the complete freedom of being able to RP freely all the time without any interruptions, and are obligated to handle all server issues at hand no matter the situation? 

I understand completely

(17.) Please make a list of all previous staff applications, a link to them, and the reason they were locked. If they were accepted, please give a short explanation of why you are no longer staff. (Disregard if this is your first application)

I have made a total of 3 applications before. 2 of them being on the old forums so I cannot link them. My very first one in September 2017 got locked due to being older than 30 days. My second one in November 2017 got accepted.

Link to my previous application, which was accepted: https://starbystargaming.com/showthread.php?tid=727

The reason I am no longer Staff would be that I resigned. A few reasons played into that, I felt that at the time I could not deliver my best to the server, due to some personal issues and just a general feeling of not living up to my own standards and felt it would be unfair to hog the slot, when there are other talents out there, that might, at the time, be better suited and can invest themselves more. I, however, no longer feel that way, which is why I am putting in this application in. I believe I am ready to give it my all again and deliver the best events I possibly can.

If you have come this far, I would like to thank you for reading through all of this and encourage you to leave some kind of feedback, be it negative or positive, it matters not. I can only improve myself, if I know which areas need improving.

Yours truly,

[Image: NvuKO3h.png]

Messages In This Thread
Alistair Whyte's Gamemaker Application - by Alistair Whyte - 01-11-2019, 03:06 PM