Galaxy of Magic server now open! | Everything you need to know

(12-10-2022, 01:57 PM)baked Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 05:26 PM)Jay Wood Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 02:42 PM)baked Wrote: I'm not an attorney by any means, but am I not wrong when saying you could have kept everything pretty much 95% the same and only done slight changes to make it "Harry Potter- but not quite"?

Guy said this: "Unfortunately, Facepunch isn't going to allow parodies or anything too similar, it's not worth the risk and they've already shut down several servers who have tried."

I guess there's no point fighting a multi-billion-dollar company legally even if the servers aren't infringing on their copyrights at all. 
"under section 41A of the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth), it is a defence to copyright infringement if the material is used in fair dealing for the purpose of parody or satire."
Parody servers would be 100% legal, but I guess Facepunch just doesn't want to risk it. 

Also, I would definitely like to join those parody servers to see what they did. They've clearly failed to separate themselves far enough from the IP. (ex: map with Hogwarts insignia on it, house names too similar, etc.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Galaxy of Magic server now open! | Everything you need to know - by Jay Wood - 12-11-2022, 01:26 AM