The credibility of discord screenshots

Please, hear me out because I think this is a very important topic that needs to be discussed. This is a sort of community suggestion but since there is no forum section for that, I decided it best fits here.

Basically, I would love for it once and for all to be clear whether discord screenshots from any private discords (so all besides the official SBS discord) can be treated as valid evidence in player or staff reports. 
My opinion is, they shouldn't, under no circumstances. Mainly because they can be forged and edited easily and since they come from discords other than SBS one, no staff can look back into edition history and confirm whether something has actually been said or not.
The thing that I have observed though is that on one report people accept these kinds of screenshots as valid proof while on another, 90% of comments state that whatever is said in private discords should not reflect on players and staff on the server and in the community. 

What is the truth then? Where should we draw the line and say this counts and this doesn't? 

I think, the only way to prevent false accusations, conveniently cut out comments and these kinds of issues, it should be stated clearly that conversations in any discord servers besides the official SBS discord cannot be used as evidence in reports or appeals. And while we are at it, I also believe that all still ongoing bans, both server and community bans, which have been issued based on discord screenshots, should be revieved again with what I have stated above in mind. I don't think it is fair to immediately condemn someone over something they said to their friends in what they assumed was environment completely unrelated to sbs, when other people who say equally questionable things are immediately excused on the account of the platform they shared their unfortunate comment on being not officially sbs-related.

Many people have been banned and community banned because of things they said or did about someone (normally staff) in places outside of this community. Example being Cumble from the old map who was if I remember correctly got community banned because he made a diss track about certain staff member/s. I said for awhile that unless it is a threat to the server such as a DDOS to the server etc. Nothing can be acted upon if something is said outside of community boundries being the servers, forum or discord. This also includes any "anti-staff discords" or just any "anti-sbs member name here". No one should have to tip-toe anywhere about what they say in fear of being reported and banned because really, in all honesty, who cares. Its a bunch of people who youll never meet talking shit over the internet.
[Image: nq70Kve.gif]
Quote:I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring 

No one would be banned from the server for comments made in a discord unless they're evidence of wrongdoing on the server itself

As for community bans, Alex would have to clarify on that  himself but unless their behavior on other platforms brings toxicity back to SBS I don't believe they would be punished for that
[Image: 2onHicx.jpg]

(04-15-2019, 11:00 AM)Saigyl who? Wrote: No one would be banned from the server for comments made in a discord unless they're evidence of wrongdoing on the server itself

How about this ban then? The kid got banned for 4 hours for disrespect in ooc and then got his ban extended to one week only because he was disrespecting the mod on discord. And there's 3 other mods on that appeal who seem to be perfectly fine with someone getting banned for a week based on a screenshot from discord.

In the end of the day, are screenshots of discord messages considered a proper reason to ban someone from the server and are they considered valid evidence?

(04-15-2019, 02:06 PM)Mike Gryffin Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 11:00 AM)Saigyl who? Wrote: No one would be banned from the server for comments made in a discord unless they're evidence of wrongdoing on the server itself

How about this ban then? The kid got banned for 4 hours for disrespect in ooc and then got his ban extended to one week only because he was disrespecting the mod on discord. And there's 3 other mods on that appeal who seem to be perfectly fine with someone getting banned for a week based on a screenshot from discord.

In the end of the day, are screenshots of discord messages considered a proper reason to ban someone from the server and are they considered valid evidence?

There is a difference between other things and messaging staff members that you hope they die because of a ban.
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: FsAzN9v.png]
[Image: laBAnuq.png]
[Image: WzF3z0e.png]

(04-15-2019, 02:09 PM)Justin Aeternalis Wrote: There is a difference between other things and messaging staff members that you hope they die because of a ban.

So now there are things that are more disrespectful and less disrespectful? And who exactly is supposed to determine that? (Inb4 you say that guy was sending death threats, he is actually a 12 year old squeaker. Taking his words for real and considering them to be an actual threat is ridiculous). Also, what happens if I let's say disrespect forum staff in a pm? Might as well make them mods on all servers just because. What if I disrespect them on discord, do I get a forum ban as well? In the end, the ban is determined not by what you said but who you said it to? Something seems fundamentally broken here.

On the other hand, I agree there are cases when saying things out of the server should get you banned (doxing people, sending actual threats, harassment etc.). The thing is - that should be a community ban and not a ban that is determined by who you disrespected and which server the said staff member has mod/admin powers on. If you talk shit on the server, you should get banned from the server. If you talk shit on the forums, you should get banned from the forums. If you talk shit on the discord, you should get banned from the discord. And if the disrespect is really getting out of hand, then just request a community ban.

The point that I would like to argue though is that any of these screenshots can be photoshopped easily. In fact they can even be made in MS Paint, all you need is a bot that has the say command and you can just cut out and paste a ready message with perfect background and the font discord uses. You can literally put any words into someone's mouth, make them into a harasser or someone who threatens others and unless it is a discord moderated by sbs staff that are considered trustworthy members of the community, how can you confirm someone is not being framed? Especially if it is not a public report on forums that the accused person can respond to but a screenshot just sent to one person from staff by a third person who claims this happened in some discord they are in? If someone is actually threatening your life through messages or sexually harassing you, I would say it is a case for police that can access your account and locate the person in question once they confirm your evidence is valid, it is something way more serious than an issue requiring a community ban. In no way will a cban protect you from the person in question especially, if being banned only angers them. I don't think community staff is a force equipped to actually protect you, nor is it something that should be expected of them since it is literally the job for police.
slytherinPride  Lizzie Inkarna-Ragnulf  ravenclawPride
Joined the server on September 30th 2018
Married to Daniel Inkarna-Ragnulf since October 28th 2018
Mother to Ida, Baltazar, Matt, Rosemary, Xam and Jack
Witch of the Forest
Heart DF Forver Heart
[Image: 4qn1o2.png]

(04-15-2019, 02:06 PM)Mike Gryffin Wrote:

The issue with that screenshot warranting a ban is that it seems like they PRIVATELY MESSAGED the moderator on discord. They knew what they were doing when they reached out to the mod that issued the ban.  If they wanted to talk shit on the mod in a private discord server thats one thing, as i wouldn't add to the ban if it were me, that is petty AF... but seeking out and DMing the moderator and pursuing the issue and harassing them, thats a WEE bit different mate. I've had harassing PMs come to me in Discord, Forum Messages, and even my twitch account due to my input on ban appeals before i decided whether to accept or deny them, and you BET they influenced my decision.  On the same note, ive also seen others bad mouth me in private discords where people have brought it to me.. Those did not.  They are entitled to their opinion, but tracking someone down via PMs Discord, other ways of Direct messaging to send hateful messages, That's a little too far.

Private Discord conversations shouldnt be a deciding factor in any ban unless it is being used to continue to spread negativity/Drama around the community. Memes about staff/Pissed off about staff/ban? Go for it lul. Conspirating with others to cause issues on the server, Nah, go get a hobby. (Yall know who you are Harrygasm )

#unbanbubsy2019
[Image: 74954cf625232cade772966ff9fc6196.png]
Joined - August 28th, 2018 | VIP - October 25th, 2018
Trial Mod - November 19th, 2018 | Full Mod - December 2nd, 2018 | Resigned - February 8th, 2019

I agree with this however it should obviously be lines.
Excessive bullying/targeting/harassment/doxing/DDOSING/death threats of certain players should be dealt with accordingly: if ur gonna be an asshole it shouldnt matter what platform you use.

Forgery of fake screenies can be in every kind of report, from the server to real life pics, not an argument imo.

Looking back at some of the bans and controversies around the drama in private discords I get baffled of how small things people report for and how petty some of the bans have been.

There is kind of a double standard, there should be some more rules explaining what is ok and what is not ok even in a private discord. However repeated harasment and or targeting  of certain players needs to stop as it is horrible for the players on the reciving end.

Also didnt a staff once get staff reported because he said the n word when they met IRL? now thats a report lmao
[Image: cJLSho7.png]
Moderator June 3d 18
Admin August 19th 18 - January 2nd 19
Gamemaker: February 25th 
Amanda Curzes husband Heart

I completely agree with what Konrad said. Also, there are multiple ways to prove whether or not the screen shot is 'faked'.
| Leader of the Delaires |  Leo's Aries | Dark Chancellor | Shadowed Acolyte | The Heir of Slytherin |
[Image: miraleo.gif]
[Image: coollogo_com-7423641.png]

[Image: 30mlfs7.png]